Dozens of pregnant women are forced into isolation after Covid-infected patient visited maternity ward at a Melbourne hospital
- Infected patient visited Mercy Hospital for Women in Melbourne on Monday
- Patient tested positive later in week with 120 people now forced into isolation
- Among those isolating are pregnant women from the maternity hospital
Pregnant women are among 120 people that have been forced into isolation after a Covid-infected patient visited a maternity hospital.
The Mercy Hospital for Women in Heidelberg, Melbourne‘s north-east, has been declared a tier one exposure site after being visited by the positive case on Monday.
The patient tested positive a few days later with the hospital confirming patients had been told to isolate on Saturday.
The Mercy Hospital for Women in Heidelberg, Melbourne’s north-east, has been declared a tier one exposure site after being visited by the positive case on Monday
More than 100 visitors, staff and patients have been told to get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days.
Some of these include pregnant women.
‘Mercy Hospital for Women has been identified as a Tier One exposure site after a patient tested positive to Covid-19 following a visit to a women’s outpatients’ clinic during her infectious period,’ a Mercy Health spokesperson said.
‘Mercy Health has contacted patients and staff who were considered to be at risk of exposure and who were in the area at the time.
‘The hospital is taking an exceptionally cautious approach and in line with Department of Health advice has advised any patient at risk to get tested and isolate for 14 days.’
Victoria suffered another 535 new Covid-19 cases on Saturday and one death.
The latest cases in Victoria are the highest daily number so far in the recent outbreak and come from 61,622 tests.
Sixty-two of the infections were linked to known cases, health authorities said, while Victoria has 4974 active coronavirus cases.
The streets of Melbourne were filled with more than 1,000 angry protesters on Saturday with demonstrators demanding an end to the city’s lockdown
A frenzied mob of protesters burst through a police line in Richmond and trampled over officers knocked to the ground
The streets of Melbourne were filled with more than 1,000 angry protesters on Saturday with demonstrators demanding an end to the city’s lockdown.
Some 2,000 officers were deployed at road checkpoints and barricades, and on roving patrols, to try to stop the rally going ahead in breach of public health orders.
The CBD became a no-go zone ahead of Saturday’s unrest, with most public transport to and from the precinct suspended and a ‘ring of steel’ erected around its fringe with threats of $5,500 fines for anyone travelling into the city without a lawful reason.
Demonstrators met outside the Richmond Town Hall on Bridge Road at midday and were seen chanting ‘free our children’ and ‘you serve us’ before the protests turned violent.
Scenes escalated as the group reached Burnley Street, with police forced to deploy capsicum spray before arresting dozens of protesters as others taunted and hurled abuse at them.
Demonstrators stormed through police lines in Richmond and trampled on officers as they tried to fend off the crowd
Chaos in Melbourne: Anti-lockdown protesters faced off with police in the CBD despite the threat of $5,500 fines
Mercy Hospital for Women hospital in Melbourne exposed to Covid-19 with 120 forced into isolation